I'm sitting here wondering about the age we live in online today, while 2 message boards (on a rival message board system, not us) have been completely "hacked" - totally wiped out by "the underground".
I never want that to happen to ANY BbBoard. And it hasen't yet. There is no doubt that people will try. Let's defeat them before they even begin.
Please rate the above options from 1 thru 10, 10 being something that you would think would be very effective for stopping "hackers", and 1 being something that'd do just the opposite.
Here's a list of things that we ALREADY have in place to stop them:
* Automatic daily, weekly, and monthly backups. These back up all boards, free or paid. You can request a restore from me at any time by e-mailing email@example.com . We can restore your whole board, or just specific forums.
* Manual backup. Download the backup file, and upload it again to restore it.
* Flood control that doesn't only work on registered members. Guest users are subject to any flood control limits you put upon them too.
* NO drop-off limit. On rival message board system(s), there is a certain limit of the number of posts you can have in a forum. So, the "hackers" just post enough for them to all drop off the end, and job well done. This isn't possible with BbBoard, as there's no limit. The only thing they would achieve would be a waste of time, as all the posts would still be there.
* General security. No HTML is allowed in sigs, or posts by guests/general users. Admins/mods can use HTML in posts (by the use of putting the [ html] tag somewhere in the post)
* Me. Plain & simple. Any user found even attempting to/suggesting that they will hack a board will be globally banned by username & email, meaning that they won't even be able to view any board. I am totally against any of this childish "hacking", and I will not stand to ever see it happen on any BbBoard. If it ever does, then I will personally make sure that they don't get away with it.
* Membership Screening. Turn this option on, and only people who are on your user list will be able to view/post at your board. You may know this feature as MBA.
* Advanced logging. We log EVERYTHING that happens on any BbBoard. IP#'s, usernames, actions, times. Everything is logged, nothing is left out. Just a quick search through the master log, and yay, we've found our "hacker".
* Willingness to prevent. Prevention is always better than restoring backups. If anyone has any other ideas for prevention of "hacking", let me know.
The next release (V1.2.6) is being aimed for the weekend. The release after that will be a special security-concious release incorporating the anti-hacking technologies that are being rated in this poll.]
In case you lost the point in reading that (
), please rate the thigns at the top of this post from 1 thru 10, 10 being the most effective, and 1 being the opposite.